Al is a Licensed Professional Counselor who has worked professionally with men’s issues since 1994. He has been a therapist with the Men’s Resource Center at Fountain Hill since 2002. Prior to that Al worked for OAR, Inc. in Holland, Michigan as a therapist in both outpatient and residential men’s chemical dependency programs. Al also worked for Gateway Foundation, an Outpatient Treatment center in Chicago and prior to that was on a ministerial team for 10 years in an urban ministry in Chicago. Al is also an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ.
Al’s practice revolves around three levels of accountability. The first and foundational level is to own up to my part of my current difficulties. The second level is about developing a deeper level of compassion for those I have hurt or for those who have hurt me. The third and equally important level is to develop a deeper level of compassion for myself.
Al believes that learning compassion is at the heart of positive change. Al’s passion for working with men on their journeys of healing and growth is connected to his deeply held belief that men can change. When given respect and opportunity men can move forward in surprising ways.
Men’s Resource Center Therapist
- Domestic Violence/domestic relationship issues
- Anger Management
- Sexuality issues/sexual addiction/internet pornography
- Substance use/abuse/addiction
- Ordained clergy/Spirituality issues
- Men’s Therapy Group
- EMDR-trauma/grief work
Recent Articles by Al Heystek
- Men’s support systems are vital - May 2nd, 2013
- Local Expert Talks About Sex Addiction - April 20th, 2010
- Addiction - July 24th, 2009
- People With Drug Problems Need Help, Not Long Jail Sentences - June 27th, 2009